Saturday, March 12, 2011

HELP! I’VE FALLEN IN (love with) TUSCANY AND I CAN’T GET UP

Keeping In Contact with the Writers
    Throughout the course of 2007 and 2008, I had been, madly buying books on Italy, Tuscany specifically, and devouring them at a frightening pace.  I had already bought all of Frances Mayes’ books, including her picture/recipe books “At Home in Tuscany” and “Bringing Tuscany Home”.   I found Dario Castagno’s first books, “Too Much Tuscan Sun”, “Too Much Tuscan Wine”, and “A Day in Tuscany”; Beppe Severgnini’s “La Bella Figura”; both of Ferenc Mate’s “The Hills of Tuscany”, and “A Vineyard in Tuscany”; Phil Doran’s very funny “The Reluctant Tuscan”; and Michael Tucker’s “Living In A Foreign Language”.   The combination of author’s had a massive impact on me. 
     I believe in letting folks know when they do a good job and I liked their work.  So, I started emailing the authors.  First was Ferenc Mate:
 
Re: Compliments On "A Vineyard In Tuscany" & "The Hills of Tuscany" 
Mr. Mate: 
I have now read both of your Tuscany books and I want you to know how much my 
wife and I have enjoyed them.  Thank you for sharing your life, your family, and 
passions with us.  Visiting Italy has always been high on my list of things to 
do when I retire, but, for now, reading your words will have to be enough. 
I hope that I might have the honor of visiting your winery, if open to the public, if we 
ever make it to Tuscany. 
Thank you, 
David Jones 
 
To my surprise he responded:
 
Dear Mr. Jones, 
Many thanks for your generous comments, it's always rewarding to hear that 
someone has been moved enough to write a note. 
Yes we are near La Villa, and do stop by to taste some wine when you're in 
Tuscany. 
 Best regards, 
 Ferenc Mate 

Next, I tried Phil Doran.  He wrote back, too:
Dear David,
    Thanks so much for your kind note, I can't tell you how much it means to hear you like my book. All the events in the book are true, although I did compress the time-line and consolidate some of the characters to make the story more manageable.
    The film rights to the book have been optioned by John Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston who would play us in the movie. We were having discussions when they suffered the loss of their son so there hasn't been any further movement while they grieve.
    Nancy has gotten away from sculpting to pursue an art form that's physically less demanding and if you go to her website you can see the portraits she's been painting. 
     Once again David, thanks for taking the time to write, and I hope you get to Italy soon and perhaps you can visit, see Nancy's studio, and the two of you can discuss painting. 
         Ciao for now,
        Phil Doran

Wow.  These guys sound like real people.  I was inspired and wrote Dario Castagno.  He wrote back:
 
Ciao David 
                Thanks for your note. Fortunately due to very strict laws the 
Tuscan countryside is still unspoilt and as it has always been. Also we have a 
very low density of population so "our" Tuscany is still as we authors describe 
it. The Tuscan craze has seemed to have dimmered and because of the crises fewer 
tourists flock here. 
The podere Ferrale is on the border between the boroughs of Castellina and 
Radda, the place is quite beautiful ( I slept there in 1979 when it belonged to 
a schoolmate of mine) The etruscan tombs I mention in my book are very close and 
following our studies we believe that Ferrale was the original acropolis meaning 
2500 years ago (!) 
My second book A day in Tuscany is available in the US bookshops while 
Too Much Tuscan Wine (by far my least worst book!) at the moment is only 
available through my site.  If you decide to order it please inform me whom I should 
sign them too ( in both cases I send them direct from home) and I shall also send you 
a DVD I shot based on my second book I hope that Too Much Tuscan Wine gets 
published (I'm seeking for a new US publisher) and in that case I shall return to the 
US and Portland where I have a big following! 
Ciao 
Dario 
 
This was great.  He was a real person, even though he was trying to make a living, too.  In late July I sent him a follow up.  He wasn’t as cheerful this time:
 
Re: Tuscan Tours,etc. 
Ciao...the Palio was won by Tartuca...I will not be attending the event in 
MA...just my oil will. 
Alma Domus is well located...I think though that the snag is they have curfew 
I recomend the Comapagnia dei vinattieri, enoteca i terzi, Guido, Nello uoi really
 MUST rent a car or even a scooter (thought of that?) public transportation will 
take you to the towns but you will miss so much of the beauties of Tuscany. 
I never got hold of a publisher and am currently seeking for a job; I might be 
working as a waiter nest season  
Ciao 
Dario
 
     It sounded like the depression/recession had hit as hard in Italy as it had in Oregon.  I shot back a response and told him not to wait tables, I had done it in my twenties before teaching and I still have nightmares about it.     
     Now Michael Tucker has made a comfortable living being an actor, and was doing fine with his two books; he even bought a house in Umbria just writing about his eating habits.  I love to eat too and long for a cuisine that only uses fresh ingredients and a long heritage of incredible food.  Compared to Tucker, I am a ‘neophyte’ when it comes to cuisine and wine, but why, I’ve been eating (well) practically my whole life and drinking for a part of my adult life as well!  Why couldn’t I become an expert?
     I found the ‘Tucker-berry’s (Jill Eikenberry and Michael Tucker) website on line in February of 2008 and decided to let Mister Tucker know how much his book enticed me.  The email was a short, maybe four paragraphs, email that let him know how much we both liked his book, and that I too had the dream, not the reality, to go to Italy. 
     He actually wrote back, a month or so later thanking me for the compliments and said we should just go for it!  Go to Italy.  Well, that’s fine for him to say, he has more money than I’ll ever have.  I kept re-reading his book and wondering why Marianne and I couldn’t have an Italian experience.  I really think that between Ferenc, Phil, and Michael, (okay, and Mayes) the ‘seed’ of ‘travel Italia’ had been planted so firmly into my psyche that poor Marianne wouldn’t even have a chance of saying ‘no’ or ‘dis-swaying’ me when the un ‘bridled monster’ broke out into the open in early June.  “Feed me!  I must go to Tuscany!”

1 comment:

  1. How did you find these authors email addresses? I have just read Ferenc Mate's 'The Wisdom of Tuscany' and I long to tell him how it has changed my life-for the better of course! Please tell me! If you haven't read this book-please do! I am getting the books in your post (that I haven't already read!) and adding them to my stack of must reads!

    ReplyDelete